Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Day#3

Today we did the Old Testament walk starting from inside the old city. We positioned ourselves near the broad gate by the old wall that existed during Hezekiah's time. Carl had us split into two groups and reenact the attack... we actually were standing on the wrong side..it was kinda funny. From there we went to David's City. This was quite the adventure. We started by looking down at the Kiddron Valley. Its interesting that David made his city here. I wondered about this...because the way that it's positioned is South east of the city and down the hill tucked closer to the valley. It's a lower point than Mt. Zion, Mt Moriah... pretty much a lot of things. We find later that it is close to a water source the Gihon springs. We actually traveled through these springs' tunnel about knee high in water for about 30 minutes. The length of the tunnels are 1/3rd of a mile. 

It is still surreal to me that that was the place David had his palace and lived. There are two ways it takes me: 
1. Being in the actual spot, feeling the same climate, perhaps holding my hand up to block the sun in the same way... it somewhat humanizes the person. It's more real to me. He was a man like I am. Only his sin has a memorial to remind everyone of. What if my sins had memorials? "This is the actual spot where Josh really screwed up. It happened right here." Peter has a similar spot. "Hey guess what? This is where Peter denied his faith (or at least commemorates the event). 
2. It increases the awe and wonder of these great men. How can I walk in their shoes? God used them in such amazing ways. Will He use me? Should I even consider such thoughts? 

As I'm walking through the city..it doesn't really hit me. When I come back to the JUC and reflect about what I've done, where I've been... I'm floored..overwhelmed with emotion... 

My God was here! 

Maybe He stood right here. 

Then I wish He still was there... 

From there we ended up at the bottom of the Kiddron Valley and walked up to the tombs on Mt Olivet. 


No comments: