Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Israel Trip Day #2

Today was the tour of the old city in Jerusalem. (I'm currently writing this blog with a rock worship concert as my soundtrack. The electric guitarist is pretty good. Shredding some solo's out. Real  ethereal kind of stuff. "Holy, Holy, Lord God Almighty.") This is typical of how this trip has been for me thus far. Contemplative, emotional, thought-provoking, and very deep. We actually started the day by heading towards the Mt. Zion gate. Howie and I were walking last night and we went through the Joppa gate and wandered through the Armenian quarter at times getting really freaked out because we had no idea where we were going. We stopped and asked for directions several times and got a few blank stares from some of the locals who obviously didn't understand english. Finally, we found an English speaker and exited through the Zion gate. Howie and I laughed about our venture the previous night. 

We passed through the Armenian quarter past St. James Cathedral which is the Armenian holy site. From there we went to the Street of David which is the street with tons of shops...similar to an international market place kind of deal. The smells were interesting. Spices, incense, candy...you name it. 

From there we went to the Church of the Holy Sepluchere. This is the traditional site of the tomb of Christ. Helena, Constantine's mom built the church there to remember Christ.
I really want to spend some more time here. This is a place I must return. 

From there we made our way through the Jewish quarter and through the Damascus gate. This was the most beautiful of all the gates (Zion is actually under construction and not able to be seen). We went outside the city from there through Herod's gate (which apparently shouldn't be named that) and into the Muslim quarter. 

We pass another gate (Stephen's) and then head into the Muslim cemetery. There, we find another gate which is blocked off. This is the eastern gate. The muslims blocked this gate off so that they could control the temple area better. This was a bummer because this is where Christ came through on palm Sunday riding on a colt. My mind took me there and I pictured the whole scene in my brain: Palm branches, "blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord," rejoicing, Pharisees. It really was more amazing that what I'm writing. I can't quite seem to express what I was truly feeling at the time

The 2nd most meaningful moment was passing through the Dung gate, through security and into the western wall area to pray. Seeing the devotion of these men as they rocked back and forth, singing before God. 

I wrote a prayer in the wall:
Lord, may Your blessing and favor fall upon my family and me
May I honor You with my life all my days
May I be a blessing to many others..

It meant something different for me than the Jews I'm sure... I did it more for my sake than anything... God knows my heart already... and my prayers..

It's late and time to sleep.. 




No comments: