Thursday, May 15, 2008

Day#4

We started out the day much like yesterday...through the Zion gate and directly to the Temple plateau. We were actually the first group from Western to visit the plateau. We did not spend enough time up there. I really wanted to spend some time up there reflecting upon what really went on there. I was again filled with that contradicting feeling of wishing that things were the way they were back in old time Jerusalem...the temple still in tact the exact way Christ knew it. To behold that would be an amazing sight. Yet, there would be a lot of downside to that as well. I would not be allowed in the places where I went. I would have had to stopped in the court of the gentiles. I could not have stood near the holy of holies. At the same time, we sped through the thing so fast I really wasn't able to go through it with the proper reverence. 

I'm still working through some interesting thoughts that have come to me.
1. Constantine didn't want to rebuild or restore the temple because he saw it as God punishing the Jews. It shows a condescending heart (in my opinion) and a misunderstanding of the Jewishness of our salvation (Romans 11). 
2. The State of Israel is so secularized today that it undervalues the temple and temple worship. Appeasing the muslims and being religiously unobtrusive is of more value than what they believed God told them to do. YHWH truly plays a small role in those Jews lives. 

No comments: